Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pinhole video

pinholevideo.jpg

Josh Grant cobbled together a pinhole lens for his DSLR, threw on a UV filter and started shooting.

I took it with me to the park the next sunny afternoon, along with a tripod, expecting to take a few multi-second exposures of dandelions. I was surprised to learn that I 1/5s was all I needed at ISO 800 to get a proper exposure. I cranked the ISO up to 5000 shortly thereafter, getting a shutter speed of 1/30s.

I was thrilled that I could shoot pinhole photos hand-held at that speed! It was only later, as I was leaving the park that the significance of the "1/30s" shutter speed hit me... That was the correct shutter speed for 24 frames/s HD video! That was my goal for the weekend: find a classic pinhole photo subject, get the camera back on a tripod, and make a short video.

[Via DIY Photography, thanks Udi!]

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/06/pinhole_video.html

Sent from James' iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment